April 23, 2021
Dust from the dirt road came in through the open window. But my nine-year-old brother and I, at 10, didn’t care. Mom held us tight as we rode in the back seat of the dilapidated truck.
“When will we get there?” my brother and I asked over and over again.
We wanted the trip to end. Maybe because with each bump, the springs that protruded through the cloth seat poked my bottom. Or perhaps we were eager to arrive because we knew the excitement that awaited us in our vacation place in the tropical area of Bolivia.
The destination was lovely, but the journey to get there was not only long, but dangerous. The narrow, bumpy road bordering the mountain is identified as the most dangerous road in the world.
Drivers honk their horn as they take sharp turns to alert the oncoming traffic. Did I mention it’s only one way?
The edge of the road that winds around leads to an endless cliff. The winding road has no protection. Homemade crosses of all kinds and sizes line the edge, marking the places where vehicles slipped off resulting in fatalities.
One such accident took place recently, leaving a young man paralyzed. His family, American missionaries, sent prayer requests around the world.
The Roads of Life
As we ride through the mountain roads of life, we also encounter unexpected turns that bring pain and heartache. And we ask, why? Why does adversity barge unannounced? It catches us unprepared and vulnerable. Inevitably, the tragedy pushes us down the cliff of sorrow.
I tasted that heartache years ago when, in that dark emergency room, the doctor said to me and my family, “He didn’t survive the stab wounds he received.”
Losing my youngest son was unthinkable. I cried out to God, “Why?”
I found that kind of pain has no logic, reason, or purpose. But more importantly, I learned that God’s peace has no limit.
7 Promises for You
Friends, if you or anyone is in the prison of pain, here are seven promises needed in order to be set free.
- We count on His help, constant and never changing because “God is our refuge and strength, an ever-present help in trouble” (Psalm 46:1).
- We silence words of self-pity or sorrow. “My lips will glorify you. I will praise you as long as I live…” (Psalm 63:4a).
- We let go the grip on bitterness and instead, we reach up to Him. “In your name I will lift up my hands” (Psalm 63:4b).
- Our heart may be broken, but our soul is intact. “My soul will be satisfied as with the richest of foods; with singing lips my mouth will praise you” (Psalm 63:5).
- We thank God for the sweet sleep that will come because “On my bed I remember you; I think of you through the watches of the night because you are my help…” (Psalm 63:6).
- We claim His power, knowing where we find protection. “We sing in the shadow of your wings. Our soul clings to you…” (Psalm 63:7).
- We declare: Lord, we will not faint because “Our soul clings to you; your right hand upholds us” (Psalm 63:8).
No matter where the road of life leads, how it turns or how bumpy it gets, we have God’s reassurance. We declare our trust in Him as we allow Him to take the wheel. He will lead us away from the cliffs of sorrow. And He will keep us on track as He proves He’s in control. Eventually we arrive at the destination. It offers freedom as we discover heartache leaves and healing begins.
Father, I praise you for already knowing the help we would need, the comfort we would desire, and the reassurance we would call for. Thank you for going before us to prepare the healing and the restoration of our peace. I thank you in Jesus’ name.
Who’s at the wheel of your life as you take unexpected turns?
Did you know I wrote a book filled with words of encouragement, uplifting thoughts and illustrations of real-life triumph to empower you? Its title, Trials of Today, Treasures for Tomorrow: Overcoming Adversities in Life. You can get it HERE.
CLICK HERE for a one-minute inspirational video.
Looking for a speaker for your upcoming event? A great speaker makes the difference between a so-so event and one that shines with impact. I invite you to view one of my two-minute videos HERE.
Please share: Feel free to share Janet’s posts with your friends.
If you enjoyed these moments of inspiration, consider supporting JC Empowerment Ministries. We keep going, keep inspiring and keep bringing Jesus light into the darkness only through your cheerful tax-deductible giving. It’s simple. Just hop over to this LINK. https://janetperezeckles.com/about/non-profit-tax-exempt-authorization-letter