March 16, 2018
When evil attacks, our soul wants to shrink in pain, our heart shatters and our mind fills with gloom. Unless we run to God’s promises for refuge.
We need His protection because often as unexpected as rain on a sunny day, adversity pours. And when it does, we’re stunned at the reason why. Why us? Why now?
I need a break.
I asked those questions years ago. When my boys were small, I had wiped the kitchen counter and mopped the floor for the umpteenth time. I folded laundry, fixed meals, calmed cries, changed diapers and picked up toys off the floor as I did every day. The routine, the monotony and the endless chores sometimes pushed me on the couch, wanting to scream, “I need a break.”
That break came when in a matter of 18 months, a retinal disease robbed my sight completely. And facing the horror, the sorrow and the desperation, I sat on that same couch, wishing, oh wishing so badly that those “monotonous” days could come back.
Have you done that? Complained and ranted about how life is, hard, routine and so difficult? Then, suddenly a wave of bad news crashes your life. And pain enters your world. Then those days of routine, mundane and filled with tasks are ones you wish to come back. In fact, you’d do anything to go back to what you had before. Anything to be relieved from the current pain.
And to make it worse, we’re attacked by regret, sorrow and anguish.
But God knows. He has the protection from those attacks. He has the shield from the arrows that pierce our peace. And He has the promises, the specific instructions, the powerful path for us to follow all outlined in Chapter 54 of the book of Isaiah.
- When life’s unfairness flogs our heart, we’re tempted to give up. “’…but with everlasting kindness I will have compassion on you,’ says the LORD your Redeemer.”
- When you wonder if He’s the same as He was long ago. He says, “’To me this is like the days of Noah, when I swore that the waters of Noah would never again cover the earth. So now I have sworn not to be angry with you, never to rebuke you again.’”
- When you question the power of His love, He assures ”’…Though the mountains be shaken, and the hills be removed, yet my unfailing love for you will not be shaken nor my covenant of peace be removed,” says the LORD, who has compassion on you.’”
- When you wonder what will your future look like. What will the new chapter hold? He states, “’O afflicted city, lashed by storms and not comforted, I will build you with stones of turquoise, your foundations with sapphires. I will make your battlements of rubies, your gates of sparkling jewels, and all your walls of precious stones.’”
- And when you wonder what will your legacy hold? He gives the answer: “’All your sons will be taught by the LORD, and great will be your children’s peace.’”
- When you question what will be next, what you can expect, He addresses that too: “’In righteousness you will be established: Tyranny will be far from you; you will have nothing to fear. Terror will be far removed; it will not come near you.’”
- When you ask for constant security. He says, “’If anyone does attack you, it will not be my doing; whoever attacks you will surrender to you.’”
Though blindness has been part of my life for over 30 years, these promises shined a constant light of beautiful hope. And they will for you too. If storms crash your life and bring rain of heartache, know that these same promises prevail over the winds of fear. His Word hushes the thunder of sorrow. And as you wait patiently, His voice speaks to turn your adversity to joy.
Which promise speaks to you in the storm? I’d love to hear your answer.
Thank You for your great comfort that surround us continually, even when heartache and turbulence enter our lives. May we be ever mindful of your promises to turn our adversity to joy. And trust in your great faithfulness as we wait on You to fulfill those promises. In Jesus’ name, amen.
Did you know I wrote a book filled with words of encouragement, uplifting thoughts and illustrations of real-life triumph to empower you? Its title, Trials of Today, Treasures for Tomorrow: Overcoming Adversities in Life. You can get it HERE.
CLICK HERE for a one-minute inspirational video.
Looking for a speaker for your upcoming event? A great speaker makes the difference between a so-so event and one that shines with impact. I invite you to view one of my two-minute videos HERE. Or call the office at 407.855.1565
Please share: Feel free to share Janet’s posts with your friends.
Comments: I welcome your thoughts; please consider leaving a comment. Just look for the word REPLY at the end of the post after the list of keywords.