That’s what I wanted to know. What is the best resolution one can make? I pondered what mine would be until I heard a new friend share her insight.
We sat at the dinner table and she related the tragic death of her son. I understood as I’ve traveled on that road of sorrow myself.
“The reason I made it through,” she said, “is because Jesus first became my comforter. Then He became my counselor. And He never left me.”
There it was. That would be my resolution for this New Year. For me to analyze who Jesus truly is to me. And declare what He means to me, and what impact He makes should I face trying times, moments of pain or episodes of sorrow.
How about you? What if the best resolution you could make would be to rest assured, settle in the peace and relax with confidence that He will be…
- Your comforter when the burden weighs heavy, the load drains, He will whisper to your soul: “Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light.” Matt. 11:28-30
- Your Counselor. Who reminds you, “Don’t worry about anything; instead, pray about everything. Tell God what you need, and thank him for all he has done. Then you will experience God’s peace, which exceeds anything we can understand. His peace will guard your hearts and minds as you live in Christ Jesus.” Philippians 4:6-9
- Your captain when buffeted by rough waters of adversity, His word will speak to your soul: “Fear not, for I have redeemed you; I have summoned you by name; you are mine. When you pass through the waters, I will be with you; and when you pass through the rivers, they will not sweep over you.” Isaiah 43:1
- Your constant guard when facing the fire of sorrow. His promise resounds, “When you walk through the fire, you will not be burned; the flames will not set you ablaze. For I am the LORD, your God…” Isaiah 43:2
Father, my best New Year’s resolution is to create the habit of being still. And in silence, ponder, and reflect on your many promises. I resolve to lean on your Word who tells us who you are and what you offer when drowning in sorrow or seared by heartache. You are God of all and capable to sustain me through all. In Jesus’s name, amen.
- What will change this year for you?
- Have you made any resolutions?
- What is the best New Year’s resolution for you?
I invite you to dance with me—celebrating my new book, “Contagious Courage: A 30-Day Journey to Overcoming Stress and Anxiety.” Get your copy here and tell your friends, too.
Contagious Courage: A 30-day Journey to Overcoming Stress and Anxiety
Please share: Feel free to share Janet’s posts with your friends. Just forward this email and her latest post will soon be on its way to inspire them, too.
Comments: I welcome your thoughts; please consider leaving a comment. Just look for the word COMMENT at the end of the post after the list of keywords.
Janet has prepared even more servings of inspiration for you. Please visit her website.