October 12, 2018
“It was a devastating car accident,” a member of the Bible study said. “The healing was miraculous. “I had broken bones. They healed with no need for casts. I had cuts on my face. They healed with no scars. And doctors said I would lose my teeth as they had turned gray and they began to die due to the severe impact. But God healed them as they turned white before my eyes, leaving the doctors stunned.”
We all listened in awe.
Yet when we hear of these miracles, we can’t help but wonder why our own prayers aren’t answered and why miracles seem to pass us by?
I imagine Joni Erickson might have wondered the same from time to time while spending her life paralyzed in a wheel chair.
But even when we question, God still insists we bring our requests before Him (Philippians 4:6). And when we do, here are five steps to make sure He will answer them.
5 Steps to Answered Prayer
- Readjust our priorities. If our No. 1 priority is to seek answers rather than seeking God Himself, God will be patient until we reprioritize by seeking Him ahead of seeking answers (Matthew 6:33).
- Resist the temptation to recite memorized, perfect prayers, with lovely words and deep insight. God simply wants the genuine expression of our heart (1 Samuel 16:7).
- Recognize that sometimes we don’t know how to pray or what our requests should be. So, we can freely ask for Him to show us what to pray for (Psalm 139:23).
- Remember that His answer is always in His timing, not ours because a thousand years in God’s sight are like a day that has just gone by (Psalm 90:4).
- Relish in the fact that while we wait, He’s working in us, in our heart, in our situation. He has the answered already prepared (Ephesians 2:10).
And here’s the reason we follow these steps: Because “This is the confidence we have in approaching God: that if we ask anything according to his will, he hears us. And if we know that he hears us—whatever we ask—we know that we have what we asked of him” (1 John 5:14–15).
While we pray, we’re certain that in His timing and ways, we have what we ask. We receive what He offers. We expect what He promises. And while we wait, we take our eyes away from the circumstance and fix them on Christ instead.
Father, how often I have cried out to you, searching for words that are perfectly expressing my needs. But You already know them and You already know the painful details too. From now on, I will give you thanks for what You’re already doing and how You’re bringing Your promises to be. In Jesus’ name, amen.
How deep is your belief in God’s ability to hear you?
Did You know inspiration will dance into your heart as you read my book, Simply Salsa: Dancing Without Fear at God’s Fiesta. Here’s what a reader wrote: “Like a friend talking to me, Simply Salsa, touched my heart and gave me the hope I needed to overcome my deep depression.” S. Lawrence
Your copy waits for you at the link above.
Did you know I wrote a book filled with words of encouragement, uplifting thoughts and illustrations of real-life triumph to empower you? Its title, Trials of Today, Treasures for Tomorrow: Overcoming Adversities in Life. You can get it HERE.
CLICK HERE for a one-minute inspirational video.
Looking for a speaker for your upcoming event? A great speaker makes the difference between a so-so event and one that shines with impact. I invite you to view one of my two-minute videos HERE.
Please share: Feel free to share Janet’s posts with your friends.
Comments: I welcome your thoughts; please consider leaving a comment. Just look for the word REPLY at the end of the post after the list of keywords.