May 20, 2022
I was shocked. “No, tell me you didn’t,” I said to my friend on the phone, “Did I hear you right, you did what?”
“I said I went target shooting.”
I gasped. “Shooting? Like with a gun?”
Nothing strange about that. Many women are taking that measure for safety. And thinking that was a good idea, I asked, “Can I go with you next time?
She laughed. And I did, too, when I realized that blind people might not have the best aim.
Raise the Flag of Gratitude
In contrast, those men and women who took up the weapons of courage to defend our country and her freedom possessed the clear vision of sacrifice. That’s why we raise the flag of gratitude this Memorial Day.
They fought to defend our country, but closer to home we need another kind of protection. Intruders cross through the borders of our heart uninvited and invade our security, peace and confidence.
We pace back and forth, wringing our hands, hoping our human, feeble and flawed efforts to protect our own are adequate and effective. But they’re not. Our own protection is as lame as this blind gal firing a gun, hoping to hit the target.
And when our own lame, futile efforts fail, doubt comes in and questions surge—does God see our fear? Does He know our worry? Is He aware of what we dread? Is He close by? Does He see our tears?
His answers arrive in the carriage of our faith. When we trust and rely in the power of God. In His Word. And in His promises that carry the strength of a mighty army.
He has the ability to fight our battles to make our safety certain and our future secure. And while sound sleep fills our nights, these five promises in Psalm 131 whisper sweet reassurance in our soul:
- “The LORD watches over you…” Under His vigilant eye, His close watch and his constant observation, what could harm us?
- “The LORD is your shade at your right hand…” His presence is close by, within reach and available, what danger could come near us?
- “The sun will not harm you by day or the moon by night.” His round-the-clock promise to protect us adds comfort during our sleep and puts confidence as we wake up.
- “The LORD will keep you from all harm…” All means all—spiritual, emotional, mental or physical harm cannot touch us if the Lord keeps us.
- “The LORD will watch over your coming and going…both now and forevermore.” No matter where we go—unfamiliar places, new terrain or different surroundings—He’s observing our steps, following our path, and is aware of our journey into tomorrow.
Father, how could I find reason to fear when you promise that our life is in your hands? Our days are under your protective watch and our steps are followed by your promises of safety. In Jesus’ name I thank you.
- What do you fear the most?
- What protects you from harm?
- How do you find safety and security?
I invite you to dance with me—celebrating one of my books, “Contagious Courage: A 30-Day Journey to Overcoming Stress and Anxiety.” Get your copy HERE and tell your friends, too.
Did you know I wrote a book filled with words of encouragement, uplifting thoughts and illustrations of real-life triumph to empower you? Its title, Trials of Today, Treasures for Tomorrow: Overcoming Adversities in Life. You can get it HERE.
CLICK HERE for a one-minute inspirational video.
Looking for a speaker for your upcoming event? A great speaker makes the difference between a so-so event and one that shines with impact. I invite you to view one of my two-minute videos HERE.
Please share: Feel free to share Janet’s posts with your friends.
Comments: I welcome your thoughts; please consider leaving a comment. Just scroll down to the bottom of this blog post and look for the word REPLY. You can post your comment there. Please note: Everyone leaving a comment must first log in using the link provided. If you haven’t yet signed up, this link will also walk you through the steps.
An Opportunity for You
If God spoke to you through these writings, would you prayerfully consider joining us in spreading the goodness of Christ Jesus to those who are lost and hurting?
With immense gratitude, JC Empowerment Ministries welcomes your tax-deductible donations.
One click will take you to the place for your gift. You can GIVE HERE.